I love Snuggies

Friday, October 14, 2011

Effective Dimensions of Writing

I for sure do not think of myself as a writer. I would rather just tell people my ideas in person. Although it is really easy to tell something hard to hear through writing such as that you think they could improve at a certain aspect. I've always enjoyed creative writing. Sometimes poetry although I suck at it but I like writing short stories. I text message quite a lot because it's usually easier and you don't have to catch someone just at the right moment. The assignments I always enjoyed in school, and the ones I'd like to have my students do, are when I write about something I am interested in. If you tell me to write a paper on how math has evolved... blech. But if you tell me to write about the major causes of the civil war, I'll do a better job. So I hope to let my students pick aspects of history or geography that they think are cool and nurture their writing that way.

2 comments:

  1. Your post just gave me an idea that I am going to try to use in my classroom.... have them tweet about a certain story (not online in a real account, but typed out as if on Twitter). Biology - the carbon cycle or a cell dividing. History - as a soldier or a general in a civil war battle. ooooo that one will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rusty,
    Actually, your posting reminded me of the importance of doing structured oral language activities in the class for those students who don't like writing. Don't get me wrong--I think that all students should develop as thinkers across all content areas, and one way to do that is through helping them develop their writing. But if ALL you did was writing, many students may turn off from your class. So you want to give them other opportunities to express themselves, too, including through visual means or through oral language.

    ReplyDelete