I love Snuggies

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Peer Assessment
I really like this. I would use this in conjunction with a performance activity I do in my guitar class. I have what I call guitar circle where we all sit in a circle and play what we have been working on for each other. After reading this I would like to take it a step further and have students write down praises and critiques of each performer. It would be great for students to get feedback from their peers on what they are doing well instead of always getting it from me. I would keep a copy and give one to the students and use it to to shape my own feedback. Totally going to try this.

Observation
Every week or so I call students back to my desk one at a time and listen to them play. Though I am constantly observing and offering feedback, this gives me a chance to focus completely on the one student. I would like to take this to the next level by keeping a journal or spreadsheet of a document that I can write down specific feedback that I have given them. The next week when I call them back to my desk I can pull up the journal and see exactly what we talked about and see how where they are now. By doing this I can come up with strategies for students' practice while I'm prepping as well.

Performance Assessment
This is what I'm all about. I love having students perform a task or skill, record their data and have them perform the same task again in a month or so. It's so fun and rewarding for both me and the student to see how they have progressed in the allotted time. I like to do this in my guitar class with both chord changes and scales. I set a metronome and see how fast they can complete it. The students love playing fast so this is great motivation for them.

Portfolio
This assessment kind of freaks me out a bit. But as I've been thinking about it, I've thought of an idea that sounds interesting. Rather than seeing how they've grown in writing or something similar over the unit, I'd like to see how their attitude of a topic or controversy changes over the course of our discussions and lessons. For example asking a pre-assessment question about gun control or immigration, then presenting them with facts, not biases, about what these issues do to our country and its citizens. Using evidence from both sides of course. I'd like to see if their opinions change over time through their writing and reflections. Sounds daunting, but really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment