I love Snuggies

Monday, September 9, 2019

Initial Assumptions and Perceptions

  • What is cognition? What is education? What is technology? What is educational technology?
Cognition is the process of learning. It is how we acquire knowledge. According to the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation it requires many complex functions including our senses, memories, emotions and even language (MSF, 2019. https://www.sharecare.com/health/mental-health/what-is-cognition) It is an active process. We have to put forth effort for it to happen.

While cognition is the actual process of learning, Education is the process of facilitating learning. It can be formal or informal but formal education is what most people think of when they consider Education. That is, sitting in a classroom or in another structured environment with the goal of learning.

Technology is the material and immaterial entities used to further human interests and problem solving. It can be physical such as a smartphone or intangible such as the software and apps on a smartphone. Technology helps humans fulfill desires, needs, and purpose (Arthur, W. Brian, 2009).

Educational Technology can be defined as the material, immaterial, and theory that is used in order to teach in an educational setting as defined above (Robinson, Molenda, Rezabek, 2016)

  • What is the nature of the relationship between these fields?
Cognition, Education, technology, and educational technology are intertwined and perhaps even inseparable. Although we use cognitive functions every single day, the functions increase and are fostered via education. Education can accelerate cognition. Educational technology can further the acceleration of cognition in an educational setting. 

  • What do you think you know about the reciprocal impacts between these fields?
I do not know much. I believe that effectively utilizing technology within a classroom will increase learning based on what I have seen and read.
  • What do you hope to know by the end of this course? 
I hope to have research based evidence to back up claims that tech does increase learning. I hope to know that and know the opposing views.

No comments:

Post a Comment