I love Snuggies

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Problem-Based Learning

One problem that always peaks my kids interest is the legality, or in their case the illegality, of marijuana. So I would present this as the problem and ask students how they are going to solve it. They want it legalized so I would ask them to develop a plan. Examples could be protests, writing to their legislatures, etc. They would use devices to thoroughly research the benefits of legalizing marijuana. Then they would implement the plan by writing the letter, highlighting all the reasons they discovered arguing for legalization. I would be their to guide their arguments to, hopefully, make them more coherent. I would then ask them to determine how effective of a solution this was. What made it effective? What could they do better?

Another Problem-based activity Would be with the Great Depression. For this one they can choose one of the many problems of the Depression, unemployment, banks runs, looting, the dust bowl, low prices of American goods. I would simply ask the question "Choose one or two of these and create a plan to lessen the effects of the Depression.?" They will have had lessons and some prior knowledge of the reasons these various problems began. Students will be put into groups and asked to come up with 2-3 solutions for their problems and why this will help. For the implementation phase they will also come up with hypothetical effects of their plans as they can't actually implement.  But they will use evidence from history to see what sort of impact their solutions would probably make. So I would need to Phase 3 and 4 together.

No comments:

Post a Comment