I love Snuggies

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Socratic Seminar and/or Role-play/Simulation

One way I think it would be cool to to a simulation is during the my Great Depression. I would like to simulate the stock market. Show them how it ebbs and flows. How their choice of buying/selling, natural disaster, supply and demand, all effect the prices of goods. Once they had it figured out and how to make money, I'd crash it just like on Black Tuesday and see there feeling of helplessness as their wealth slowly disappears.

I like to use the Socratic Seminar during controversial subjects. Immigration, gay marriage, abortion, dropping atomic bombs. I like to use the cards to ensure that everyone participates. I had a student once ask me why they killed socrates. So decided to use the Socratic method on him and continuously ask him questions until he came to a conclusion. It went well, until the student shot up and told me to shut up, not so kindly. I then said "that's why they killed him." History in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment