I love Snuggies

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Vocabulary Acquisition and Picture Word Induction

Vocabulary Acquisition
The way I would use this in my class is to introduce a theme or movement. For example introducing a word that is heavy and full understanding can't come just by defining it, but by using examples, stories, and pictures. I would use this with a topic like Nationalism or Nativism or muckraker. This would get the students thinking broadly. Then I could bring in the content to help them understand it in context.

Picture Word Induction
I would like to use this with political cartoons. There are a lot of difficult concepts in history and political cartoons illustrate how people that lived then viewed topics. It also shows how some of the controversial topics of back then are still controversial today. There are great cartoons about immigration fro example and this would really help my class analyze. Or photos from How the Other Half Lived would also be really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment